The Elba Post Office was located at three different locations, according to the map. There also was a cemetery that was named Elba, have seen no mention of a church. Dotting the southern end of Washington County in Colorado, the Post Office slowly moved East until 1932 it was located on Hwy 63.
The PO on Hwy 63 appears it may have been a small town of sorts. There are a some buildings in the area and by its location may have been a general store with gad station. The other locations were farm houses, back over that a way.
Like many things on the prairie, Post Offices were consolidated into larger towns as the farms and ranches were consolidated into larger operations.
Today there is lots of open spaces between homes and mixed in the area are a few abandoned homes that are reminders of days gone past. It is mostly farm land with some ranching in the rolling hills. The occasional car streams by on the highway, a truck boils up dust on the country road. There is a peace on the land as the wind is still that day.
The journey, following the roads on the old historic map, looking at the many building that sit vacant. Empty homes, that hear voices no more, the birds that scatter with approaching stranger. It is a land that still yields a harvest, provides for the people that still call it home.
On windswept plain is the cemetery. Markers of when pioneers settled here. A memory of when dreams of owning their own place brought them across the ocean, over the land. Setting stakes and building their dream.