The Poor Boy
Where’s the beef, a phrase from a commercial a number of years ago. Ask that question toady and one would probably get the answer, no money were broke. No more beef and there is now a loud clamor of beefs.
The people that lived off the taxes from others are getting hit big time. Many of the states have balanced budget laws and unlike the federal government cannot engage in deficit spending. Layoffs of state workers is happening here and there, mostly for a day or two here and there. I have not heard of any long term layoffs. Personally I see a few on the horizon and a few will probably be in the wrong place.
One of those are going to be the schools. At church last Sunday during bible study this issue came up. One of the members is an administrator for one of the local elementary schools. He was talking about staff cuts, pay cuts and consolidation. Ugly words for educators, for they struggle so much anyway. The principal noted he wasn’t too sure what he was going to do.
Pastor looked at him and said your answer is right here. We had been studying Psalm 121. Instead of looking to the government to solve your problems look to where the Psalmist found his solutions. “We have been looking to the government for too long to take care of us.” “This should point out to lots of people we cannot rely on the government to take care of us and solve our problems,” the Pastor finished.
Man great words of insight and wisdom for a person to live by. Here is Psalm 121, (NIV).
A song of ascents.
Ps 121:1 I lift up my eyes to the hills— where does my help come from?
Ps 121:2 My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven of and earth.
Ps 121:3 He will not let your foot slip— he who watches over you will not slumber;
Ps 121:4 indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.
Ps 121:5 The LORD watches over you—the LORD is your shade at your right hand;
Ps 121:6 the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night.
Ps 121:7 The LORD will keep you from all harm —he will watch over your life;
Ps 121:8 the LORD will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.
These are some of the most reassuring words one can read. From experience I know that the Lord is my help, my strength and my solution provider.
I look at those words and then the dilemma that will be facing the schools. God has been booted so for out of the classroom it will be difficult to get Him back there but those who invite Him into their classroom He will be there. I remember starting out the school day with a prayer and a time of silence for others. There was no forcing, tying or threats to those who did not believe they could just be silent in respect of the others and all were silent in respect to all.
I’ll bet the superintendant takes his problems to the Lord now and will probably ask a few others in school to pray with him. God is always there yet so often we rely on ourselves to cure out problems. Yes God gives us talents but how do we use them; to honor God or to honor ourselves.
Tribulations are put in front of us to help remember who our creator is. Sometimes these tribulations are consequences because of our actions, a chastisement to bring us back in line with the Holy Spirit. In the Old Testament there were many times when the Hebrews would worship other Gods and God would provide consequences. One of the harsher ones was the en slavery to the Babylonians. Some great stories of repentance came out of that period and what happened to the Hebrews when they turned back to God.
Right now the country is experiencing difficulties as are many people. Yet I do not see many in the country seeking the help of God. I have yet to hear of the US President have a prayer breakfast with staff to work on problems. I don’t hear Congress inviting the chaplains to have prayers for them as they work on the countries problems.
Instead I hear of small groups trying to get God banned from our country and not many people confronting these people. I read during Christmas time that 78% of the US population profess to be Christian. That leaves 22% non-Christian. Count the God fearing religions in and there are maybe 10% who don’t believe in God. 10% of the people are taking God out of your country, what’s UP.
So back to the tax problem, God asks for 10%, the government takes more than 30%.
PRAY FOR OUR COUNTRY LEADERS
PRAY FOR ALL WHO ARE STRUGGLING
THANKS BE TO GOD.